Sunday, June 20, 2010

Edimax BR-6104-KP as Solar Logger

I finally decided to start monitoring my Solar installation. From a 'Green' perspective, it doesn't make sense to install PV-panels on the roof, trying to save some energy and then spend ridiculous amounts of money on 'gadgets' like a monitoring console. After looking into some professional hard & software, I finally bought myself a low-cost router.

At a clearance sale, I picked up an Edimax BR-6104-KP router at 29€. It's not a perfect machine, but with 2 USB ports, 5x 10/100 Mb Ethernet,1 serial port, 2MB Flash and 16MB RAM and lots of GPIO to interface to my projects, price/quality is unbeatable.

First thing I did after buying this router, was to strip it from its housing, prepare the serialport for flashing my own firmware and connect some input to the GPIO.


No comments:

Post a Comment